topbar

Tuesday, August 30, 2016

Mix 'n Match satchel

Oh. my. God. I've just finished the most perfect thing I've ever sewn. I don't think I could be more proud of myself ;-)
Mix 'n Match

I prefer sewing clothing over sewing bags, but for this beautiful pattern I made an exception. The pattern is called Mix 'n Match and it is designed as a satchel for primary school children or preschoolers (Mix 'n Match Mini). Since I don't belong to either of both categories anymore, its designer Riet was so kind to re-scale the pattern for me until it had the perfect size for a college satchel for students!

Mix 'n Match

Speaking fabrics, I chose an imitation leather (Nemesa by Lotte Martens) for the center front panels, and combined it with mint cork leather for the side panels and gold-bamboo cork leather for all other panels. The lining is an organic cotton by Birch, won here. I ironed two layers of Decovil light against all pattern pieces, with 3 broken and bent needles as a result. But it was worth it!

Mix 'n Match
Mix 'n Match

The original Mix 'n Match design has two backstraps to wear it on your back, but as I wanted my version to be appropriate for university instead of for primary school, I added a leather shoulder strap.

Mix 'n Match
Mix 'n Match
Mix 'n Match

Even the back of it is beautiful. Oh look at this!

Mix 'n Match

On the inside I added some handy features. Like pockets for my cell phone, my train card and a pen.

Mix 'n Match

A strap with a carabiner to prevent losing my keys a hundred times or more. The black-and-white part is elastic, so I can easily stretch my keys towards the door without detaching them from the carabiner.

Mix 'n Match
Mix 'n Match

The inside has three main compartments. The middle one has exactly the right size for my laptop so I added a little strap to make sure it won't fall out.

Mix 'n Match

It took 15 hours to sew the satchel and I bet it was the hardest sewing project I ever did. All the layers of leather and Decovil weren't easy to sew for my machine, but the result is just perfect. I'm so so in love.
Mix 'n Match
Mix 'n MatchMix 'n Match

I sewed the bag together with its designer and my sewing friend Riet. She made a satchel for her youngest daughter who will be starting primary school in two days. Have a look at her beautiful version here!

The two of us weren't alone while sewing. We had a camera crew filming the sewing process for the Belgian Tendens TV. It is Dutch spoken and not subtitled but it gives you an impression of the satchel sewing! (and an impression of the way I move and talk. I always find it exciting to see  other bloggers in front of the camera, for example in this little movie. It really surprised me to see what my favourite bloggers looked and talked like!)

Patroon: Mix 'n Match Mini vergroot tot 115% - Mind the Whale
Mint kurkleer: K-bas
Naturel-goud kurkleer: Madeline de Stoffenmadam (tijdelijk uitverkocht, maar wel nog te krijgen bij K-bas!)
Mint met gouden imitatieleer: Nemesa - Lotte Martens (limited edition, te koop per 60cm of in linten van 10cm)
Voeringstof: Feathers Mineral - Charley Harper's Nurture collection voor Birch - gewonnen in de Compagnie M.-wedstrijd
Fournituren en versteviging: K-bas en de Khadetjesvoorraad
BewarenBewaren BewarenBewaren

6 comments:

  1. It looks perfect! Amazing attention to detail. Well done indeed! It was nice of Riet to scale the pattern to meet your needs :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Riet is such a nice person! She is thinking about translating her patterns to English, I really hope she will because all of her designs are great!

      Delete
  2. Super leuk Eva! Echt n prachtige tas en je mag terecht trots zijn!! En wat n leuk filmpje van jullie :). Geniet van je mooie tas!

    ReplyDelete

Follow on Bloglovin